Knutsford Methodist Church
On the 20th March 1738, the Rev. John Wesley preached for the first time in the town from the steps of a house near the George Hotel.
If we take this event as marking the starting point of Methodism in Knutsford, then the opening of the present church in 1865 followed an already-established history of over 120 years of Methodist-style worship in the town. The very same steps from which it is believed that Wesley preached are now preserved (presented to the Chapel in 1932) in front of the current church building.
An attached plaque quotes an entry from Wesley’s diary at the time. Thirty seven years later (April 1775) John Wesley, then aged 72, returned and preached again in Knutsford, this time in a room near the Cross Keys Inn.
In 1860, some sixty four years after the opening of their first Chapel the Knutsford (Wesleyans) Methodists recognized that they had grown to a size of membership (around 80-strong) which demanded a larger building – and, to accommodate it, a new and larger site.
The style of the Chapel is Early English Gothic, built to a rectangular floor plan, 63 ft. by 37 ft. (19.4m x 11.4m). In the original-arrangement (still evident in the gallery at the west end), one aisle on each side divided the seating into three blocks of open pews, with inclined backs and book-rests.