The Tabley House Collection
Tabley House Collection
Tabley House was built by the architect John Carr of York for Sir Peter Byrne Leicester in 1767. The Leicesters lived at Tabley from the 14th Century, first in the Old Hall on a moated island. and later in the fine house as it stands today.
St Peter’s Chapel, originally built on the island in 1678, was moved in 1927 and re-erected on its present site which is adjacent to the house. The Chapel and the ante-chapel, which now operates as a Tea Room during the open season, have impressive stained glass, (one window designed by Burne Jones) and a grand fireplace originally installed in the Old Hall in 1619.
Tabley House Collection
The Collection is housed in the principal state rooms of the fine, grade 1 Palladian mansion. It contains some of the finest British paintings of the 18th and 19th Century. Paintings by Turner, Lawrence and others, seen in the rooms for which they were painted for.
Also included in the Collection is some fine furniture from cabinet makers Chippendale and Gillow. You will also find some fascinating family history of the Leicesters.
The Collection is open to the general public from April to October, Thursday to Sunday, and Bank Holidays, from 1pm – 5pm. The last admission is recommended to be at 4.00 pm to allow the whole of the collection to be enjoyed. The tea room is open from 12 noon until 5.30pm on the same days as the house is open. Group visits can also be arranged outside the normal opening times.
Adults £5, Children and students (with card) £1.50. Carers are free of charge.
Access for Mobility Impaired
Both the Collection and Tea Rooms are accessible for wheelchair users, push chairs and others with mobility impairments. Access is gained via a separate entrance with a lift. To save time on the day it is advised the office be informed before the day, with your estimated time of arrival. Please note that there are some uneven surfaces.
There is ample free parking, just follow the signs for the Collection and Tea Room. The estate is shared with other residents and it is respectfully requested that visitors park in the designated areas for the Collection and Tea Room only.
Coaches and Groups
Coach parties and groups are most welcome however, it should be noted that there are height and width restrictions on the main public entrance and an alternative entrance for coaches is available. The Tabley House office should be contacted in the first instance.
As with many historic properties, Tabley House has lovely oak floors which are 250 years old. They need to be protected from sharp heels therefore heels with no heels should have a width less than a two pence piece.
For further information about Tabley House, the tea rooms or the Collection visit http://www.tableyhouse.co.uk.
The Tabley House Collection is managed on behalf of the University of Manchester by the Tabley House Collection Trust. Registered charity number 1047299.